Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Is a blade of grass really green?


Ok, so this is all new to me this blogger thing, and I've even recommended to other people to do it. I do blog in Myspace but find their web apps very challenging for me being on a Mac. But regardless of that my blogs here will all be about my art, and creativity in general. And by this I might link you to someone else's blog, because of their creativity. 

So first off, the name of this blog and my web space is First Nature Media - and here is the reason for the name. Humans being first and foremost are creative beings, although we are conditioned and taught to be otherwise, if truth be told and we were to follow our instincts than humans really would not, could not do anything but create. It is what drives us, it is what keeps us up at night, it is our way to express who we are, right here right now.

It is through school that we are being trained to think a certain way. To view things in a specific way - but I ask you, do you think people like DaVinci or Einstein could hack being told to think a certain way? No way, and both had difficulties with schooling, considered somewhat eccentric, maybe a little bit insane, social misfits and both geniuses.  

What can I say I took to my schooling as a child quite harmoniously, looking for the approval of elders. I mean after all we are living in their world, or at least the one they create for us. A part of me always unsatisfied and melancholy. Approval never really being enough, where was my inner genius. 

I was taught well by linear thinkers, taught to appreciate realism. Now realism and art/creativity really don't mix, because realistically to become an artist is like branding yourself to be an outsider, the eccentric, the slightly insane person who just won't toe the line and follow the masses of people who have given in. So what was my most realistic move. To become a Graphic Designer - a marketer. 

Now here it is, the best of both worlds right. Think again. If I had a dollar for every time someone has said to me "ooooo you must love your job you get to be so creative?" I would be filthy rich. The fact is clients just aren't risk takers. 'I have a vision follow me if you want to get paid' - and so the dance begins. Now I'm not saying all clients are like that. In fact the best kind of clients for me are the ones that really just let me do my thing and somewhere in between there is creation. 

Plus I have no desire to make something look oddly out of place, no the goal to a designer is to find a creative way to communicate the client's message. In other words to push the envelope and think outside the box, but not so far as to alienate your audience.

I could go on about my experience in the corporate world, but I won't this is about art. However the above description would help in explaining my state of mind or the absolute desire to let anything linear go, leaving me feeling a somewhat uncomfortable being. Now realistic art is fine, it has had it's place in history documenting events before there was photography and video or any other type of recording method. Now a days you can take your pick or even pick all of them. 

So in all this discovery of me and in order to let go, my art has become an experimentation in the abstract. A conquest and now I'm glad to say victory into all things not necessarily realistic and of all things huge exploration into my spirit.

Let the fun begin...............