Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Goals..........

There has been a lot of talk about goals around my house of late. With the start of a new school year my daughter went into this year by setting herself a goal. So on the first day of school I approached her teacher to set up a little impromptu meeting with my daughter regarding her reaching her goal.

Now I'm not sure if you can remember but my daughter is in an LD class. She's dyslexic which makes reading and in turn writing a struggle for her. But her goals are to improve her writing, reading and math. Yup she's a practical kind of gal. Actually her ultimate goal is to receive A's. Which is of course music to my ears....... but I'm not pressuring her and she knows it. I'm happy if she didn't get so frustrated doing what seems to come easy to most of us. Although I do have to say noticing the difference from the beginning of last year to the end did warm my heart. Plus there are always those times when out of nowhere she surprises me and she has these moments where something has come to her easily. I try not to play up those moments too much in case she mistakes this as pressure.

Yup I'm most happy with slow and steady progress.

Well back to the meeting with her teacher and what came out of that. The practice he encouraged to her to start is to write a little something every day. Knowing my daughter I asked if we could somehow break that down for her so it wouldn't feel so daunting. And so the plan was to pick topics that she would like to explore. So far we are still stuck on the original two she picked.

Last night we focused on her spelling list. But this morning she had a shell shocked look and realized she hasn't written anything yet. It's not that she doesn't write, she is encouraged to write all the time. In fact she has acquired several journals to do just that. Plus she does write periodically and so I reminded her that she could share some of the stories she already has written.

Now this all brings me to my main point and that is after having this meeting with her teacher and encouraging her to write a little something everyday I realized when i started this blog that was my original intention - to write a little something every day. Hmmmmm......... and I've discovered it really isn't all that easy to do that. I mean really what the heck am I going to write every single day. Quite frankly I don't really like talking about myself..... that can become very boring to me. I'm not that egotistical. So I've realized under the advisement of my daughter's teacher that I too need to come up with a list of topics.

Now that could be a very long list but that's a good thing. I love to learn new things everyday, this could be the jumping off point.

Have the grandest day.
Lily