Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Election Day - Finally!!!!!

Finally! Election day is upon us and it couldn't come soon enough. Although the results have yet to be completely tallied and reported I'm not expecting any outrageous surprises. Although I think outrageous surprises would be interesting and in a way needed.

The topic I was hoping to touch on since my last blog was what makes a good leader. I read something recently in a newspaper and sadly I can not remember which one or who wrote the article but they did lightly touch on what makes a good leader. I do however remember my unabashed hysterical laughter as to what little they actually believed made good leadership.

When we're talking about the leadership of a country representing millions of people, whether or not they all voted for the elected leader, I believe there needs to be a certain standard. For instance, many of us take into consideration, the leaders experience, not only as a leader in a job situation, but how much political experience have they had previously. Now there may be some people who may disagree with me, but I do not see a leader as a dictator, telling people what to do and how to think. I think a good leader will create a good symbiotic team who will be able to lean not only on one another but actually be able to cross party lines to work out issues. I also do not think a leader should ever (in fact any political incumbent) name call or speak in an accusing or derogatory manner to or about other members. This should be considered common courtesy and regular protocol. A leader should really know what is going on in their country. And by this I mean they need to know all the intricacies that make up the different regions and work on behalf to unite the country. There should be no specific special interest on part of the leader. And because of this I do not believe our leaders should run on a partisan ticket. I do not find it in the interest of any one person in the populace that the leader should somehow not look at the country they are representing as not several different regions but indeed just one.

My Utopian Electoral World
Every election we are promised change, and in fact the entire world needs to see change, especially in they way populations are represented. You know the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" well it is broken and if there isn't enough proof of that yet than just how much more chaos and uncertainty would it have to take to take off the rose coloured glasses.
When people say we need change I don't think we are talking about change on a small scale. That kind of change results in nothing, it usually leads to adding band aid solutions to the bigger problem. In my utopian electoral world there would be no parties. Those elected would in fact have to work together. And not only would they have to work with other regional representatives, it should be mandatory that they in fact reach out and do real charity work within their communities and to do outreach to the people they are representing. There schedules would need to have this built in. Let's not forget, we the taxpayers pay the salaries not only of these elected officials but of all the people who work beneath them. They indeed work for us and it should not only be remembered but their should be consequences made built into this system. People should be running to be a representative not because of all the benefits they receive, but because they truly want to make a difference in the lives of the people of the people they represent and to make this this world the best place to live or want to live.

I'm sure there is much more that I could expand upon here, but as always the ideas are still swirling around in the brain space that is me.

Happy elections results!
lily